What you'll learn and what you'll need
In this course, we will learn how to brew various manual brewing methods properly. The class will take about 30 minutes in total to complete. You will learn how to control all the different variables that are involved in proper extraction. The focus will be on filter coffee in two ways: immersion methods and percolation methods. We'll study how water quality, temperature, brew time, grind size, coffee, and equipment all play an equal role of importance for an excellent cup of coffee. Ultimately, we want you to finish this class feeling comfortable and confident in brewing any filter coffee. The key to a great cup of coffee at home is practice.
Here are the tools you will need to practice these techniques at home:
- A brew method of choice (i.e. V60, Chemex, Kalita Wave, French Press, AeroPress)
- Proper filters for the chosen brew method
- A quality burr grinder
- A fresh, unopened bag of coffee that is preferably 4-7 days off-roast.
- Kettle (preferably goose neck for pour-over methods)
- Filtered water
- Scale (that measures in grams)
- Stirring spoon