We are sure you've heard it many times before— your coffee is only as good as your water. As we believe your coffee depends on water quality, and your equipment's longevity rests in its hands, we wanted to make you an expert in all things water. So, we've partnered up with the co-founder of Third Wave Water, Charles Nick, to teach you how to test and treat your water so you can have better coffee and happy equipment all under twenty minutes!
What you'll learn:
- What coffee needs in water
- The SCA parameters for water
- What is in water
- How to measure six factors in water
- Common brewing methods with water options
- What coffee and espresso machines need in water to be the most reliable
What you’ll need:
- TDS meter
- Hardness test strip or Titration test kit
- pH meter or test strips
- Chlorine test strip
- Salinity tester
- One gallon of Distilled Water (other options: reverse osmosis water, de-ionized water, filtered zero water)
- Third Wave Water mineral packets based on your type of coffee and brewing method. Take a quick survey to discover which is best for you.
This course is intended for brewing coffee with manual brew methods and espresso machines. We do not discuss all brands for all categories of filters or meters mentioned. The tools above are optional and only needed if you wish to test your water and try filtering and softening options. You can complete the course without any of the materials listed above. If you have any questions about your setup or supplies, feel free to drop them in the comments!